AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detective anime recommendation?

Junior Member chongjasmine is on a distinguished road chongjasmine's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2024 04:21 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Detective anime recommendation?

I really enjoy detective conan. Any similar anime recommendations?

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-20-2024 09:52 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Detective anime recommendation?

Master Keaton. A former special operations agent, college professor, archeologist, and insurance investigator solves mysteries.

Pluto. A robot detective tracks down a killer, uncovering secrets -- including his own.

Paranoia Agent has two police detectives trying to track down "Li'l Slugger."

You might like the movie Perfect Blue, where a former pop singer turned actress gets stalked by. . . .

Perfect Blue is a real mind-f*ck.

I guess you can also include Death Note.

From the 1944 film To Have and Have Not.

That's Humphrey Bogart holding a gun on Sheldon Leonard (dressed in white). Leonard was a movie tough guy whose slow drawl stood out. However, he never achieved the popularity of other movie tough guys. Leonard today is best remembered as a pioneering television producer who helped create The Danny Thomas Show, The Dick van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, and Gomer Pyle.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2024 04:09 PM
    Threads

I can't get into detective stories much. I mean you can find out the answer by flipping to the end, but also I realized the author knows the answer, so it's not impressive when Sherlock recognizes mud from Mongolia on someone's boots.
    Still here are a couple

Last edited by Clayton_n; 12-18-2023 at 11:05 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

I was just passing by, with no real intention of logging in or commenting, but....

There's a really great, underrated (IMO) Detective anime more people should know about:

Detective Academy Q

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/enc...me.php?id=2609

From ANN: The Dan Detective School is a Japanese detective school permitted by the government. Kyu, an ordinary boy with big dreams to become detective, attends the school as a member of Q Class along with Megu, the girl with photographic memory; Kazuma, the computer genius kid; Kinta, the strong; and the mysterious Ryu. Together they solve many cases which bring them to face Pluto, the crime organization which should have been destroyed by Dan Morihiko.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Takatofan1986 View Post
    I was just passing by, with no real intention of logging in or commenting, but....

There's a really great, underrated (IMO) Detective anime more people should know about:

Detective Academy Q

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/enc...me.php?id=2609

From ANN: The Dan Detective School is a Japanese detective school permitted by the government. Kyu, an ordinary boy with big dreams to become detective, attends the school as a member of Q Class along with Megu, the girl with photographic memory; Kazuma, the computer genius kid; Kinta, the strong; and the mysterious Ryu. Together they solve many cases which bring them to face Pluto, the crime organization which should have been destroyed by Dan Morihiko.
    The Detective is Already Dead

Ever since he was a child, Kimihiko Kimizuka has attracted trouble. According to him, he was born with a condition that naturally attracts him to troublesome situations, such as being forced to join a flash mob while taking a leisurely walk, accidentally stumbling across an underworld transaction between drug dealers, and being at the site of crime scenes often enough to sometimes be considered a suspect.

One particular day in his third year of junior high, he was kidnapped and forced to carry a suitcase onto an international flight; on that flight, he met Siesta, a woman who proclaims herself to be a "legendary detective". Forcefully made into her sidekick, Kimihiko helped her stop the plane from being hijacked, but not before Kimihiko discovered the existence of underworld organizations. After being constantly pestered, Kimihiko agrees to be Siesta's sidekick and for three years, they worked together, finding and solving an innumerable number of cases.

Now in his last year of senior high, Kimihiko is once again confronted by the ghosts of the past as he tries to solve new cases that fall into his lap. He is extremely bothered by the fact that he is called a detective; after all, the detective is already dead.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Banned Forum / Chat minh long is on a distinguished road minh long's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-22-2024 08:24 PM
    Threads

If you enjoy Detective Conan, you might like these similar anime series:

1. Kindaichi Case Files (Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo): Follow Hajime Kindaichi, a high school student with excellent deduction skills inherited from his detective grandfather, as he solves various mysteries.

2. Case Closed (Detective Conan): If you haven't watched all of Detective Conan yet, you might consider catching up on the episodes you've missed. With over 1000 episodes, there's likely plenty more to enjoy!

3. Gosick: Set in the early 20th century, this series follows the story of Kazuya Kujo, a transfer student at Saint Marguerite Academy, who teams up with the mysterious and brilliant Victorique de Blois to solve various mysteries.

4. Death Note: While not entirely similar in terms of premise, Death Note offers intense psychological battles between its main characters, Light Yagami and L. The cat-and-mouse chase and intellectual confrontations may appeal to Detective Conan fans.

5. Psycho-Pass: Set in a dystopian future, this series follows a team of detectives who use advanced technology to apprehend criminals before they commit crimes. The intricate mysteries and psychological depth might appeal to Detective Conan fans who enjoy more mature themes.

6. Monster: Follow the story of Dr. Kenzo Tenma, a renowned brain surgeon, as he investigates a series of murders linked to a mysterious boy he once saved. This anime offers a gripping narrative with complex characters and intriguing mysteries.

7. Ghost Hunt: Join Mai Taniyama as she becomes involved with the Shibuya Psychic Research team, led by the enigmatic Kazuya "Naru" Shibuya, as they investigate paranormal occurrences and unsolved mysteries.

These anime series offer a mix of mystery, suspense, and intriguing characters similar to Detective Conan, so you're likely to find something you enjoy among them.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I am currently re-watching Monster on Netflix Streaming. It may arguably be one of the most complex anime series ever. The attention to detail by the writers, and insights into the most minor characters is fascinating. I will write more later when I finish the series, which may not be for a while since I will be away for two weeks.

I saw only the first season of Psycho-Pass. It was disturbingly dark, but I like my anime dark. I heard the second season was not so good.

Death Note was even darker and more disturbing than Psycho-Pass.

I've seen Ghost Hunt, but honestly I don't remember much about it. It must not have made much of an impression on me.

That's Humphrey Bogart holding a gun on Sheldon Leonard (dressed in white). Leonard was a movie tough guy whose slow drawl stood out. However, he never achieved the popularity of other movie tough guys. Leonard today is best remembered as a pioneering television producer who helped create The Danny Thomas Show, The Dick van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, and Gomer Pyle.

Junior Member cactusharpist is on a distinguished road cactusharpist's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2024 04:15 AM
    Threads

I think the same, "Monster" is one of those shows that'll totally hook you in! It's got this crazy storyline with twists and turns that'll keep you guessing. Plus, the characters are so well-written, you'll be rooting for them (or against them) the whole time. Seriously, grab some snacks and get ready for a wild ride!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by cactusharpist View Post
    I think the same, "Monster" is one of those shows that'll totally hook you in! It's got this crazy storyline with twists and turns that'll keep you guessing. Plus, the characters are so well-written, you'll be rooting for them (or against them) the whole time. Seriously, grab some snacks and get ready for a wild ride!
    I finished re-watching Monster a few weeks ago, and I posted my review: https://www.animeforum.com/showthrea...-Monster-(2004) Look it over and feel free to comment.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by cactusharpist View Post
    Monster was horrible!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Monster was horrible!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    A cogent and well thought out rebuttal. Sir, I doff my hat to your worldly knowledge and mastery of the language.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    A cogent and well thought out rebuttal. Sir, I doff my hat to your worldly knowledge and mastery of the language.
    Would you prefer this: https://www.animeforum.com/showthrea...-Monster-(2004)

Meanwhile, we all are waiting for you to tell us why Monster was "horrible."

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Well your thing said it was "dark and disturbing". It was mostly just a sad portrayal with some serial killer elements and no real plot. The characters were underdeveloped, the "mysteries" were blasé at best, the art stunk, and overall the whole thing would have made me fall asleep except it was too dull. It reminded me of Witch Hunter Robin, particularly the episode where they were looking for a "one eyed witch" in a subway full of homeless people and their investigation involved walking up to a guy with one dead white eye and asking him if he saw anything weird.

To be fair though I'm not too impressed with most detective stories because not only can I skip to the end and find out who done it, but I know the author knows who the bad guy is and everything, so it's not terribly impressive when Sherlock Holmes recognizes mud from Mongolia on somebody's boot.

If I do watch detective shows, I skip the law & Order types and for for like Elementary or Mentalist or Psych, where it's the journey you watch, rather than the outcome.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-10-2024 at 01:44 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Monster did have a plot. It was an innocent man trying to track down a killer for whose crimes he was accused of. There are also several sub-plots. I found the characters well defined, many with interesting backstories. Though I do agree the art work could have used a bit more effort, but the story material made up for that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information